A number of recent decisions of the courts and FairWork Commission may require you to review your use of casual employees.
From the 1st of October the Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010 now includes clause 10.5 Right to request casual conversion.
Essentially this clause states:
- Regular casual employees can request that their employment is converted to full-time or part time.
- A regular casual is a casual that has worked a pattern of hours in an ongoing basis over the past 12 months. For example, if your casual works Tuesdays and Thursdays 9am to 1pm, and has done for over 12 months.
- The conversion will take effect from the start of the next pay cycle.
- Long service obligations to the casual will not be affected.
- RWS recommend writing a new contract to reflect the change of status and appropriate comment with regards to the rate of pay and other entitlements.
If you have a casual employee and you would like RWS to assist you with the conversion or any other HR matter please feel free to email me or call.